Spot On 2.0

Having a (great!) regular job is keeping me away of the web and blogosphere both as a reader and a blogger (which is maybe a good thing) but I still have time to read my fav blogs and I have to share this great post by Paul Kedrosky with you. Paul is spot-on on the Web2.0 bubble.

Building companies for a supposedly fast-growing market without significant numbers of people getting stupidly wealthy shows that capital is almost certainly misallocated here. To justify so much money going into early-stage companies doing web 2.0-ish stuff, we should be seeing more hand-wringing about the absurd amounts of money being made by a select few entrepreneurs. But we're not.

Remember my rule: The venture business is a bubble business. The industry owes its existence to its participants' ability to find and exploit liquidity bubbles in technology markets. In this case there is a bubble, but it's entirely at the company creation end of things, not the liquidity end (i.e., IPOs and M&A), which makes it the strangest and least economically rational technology bubble I've ever seen.

Why? Well, what's the financial point of a biztech bubble where oodles of money goes in, but next to no money comes out? At least in the dot-com days we'd had a few moonshot IPOs before people really began pouring money at MBAs who secretly craved to run online cat food stores.

On another note, I ask you: why has the B in the orange square logo of Blogger been replaced by a dog? I thought they were Google, not Lycos. I need to find more about it. And if there is no reason, here is the true question: why not a cat?

Now you know I'm a cat person, I have an MBA. Should I start an cat-owner online community to sell catfood. Plus, there are two things a marketer can't resist selling: catfood and shampoo.

I'll be back with more tonight (more posts that is, not catfood...ntntntnt).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Google Talk... and Skype?

Jurassic Park

Google's Downfall (predicted again)